6 Things to do right now that will change your website visibility forever
With the blogging community growing so rapidly everyday. It is not just the numbers and high quality content you need to deliver, you need to do more than that, SEO is one such thing that will rank you high on search engines and helps you get a ton of your website traffic. I was personally overwhelmed by the whole SEO thing, but now it second nature to me. Without any further ado lets just right into it.
In this post you will learn:
- What is SEO?
- Reason you should even care about it
- How to make it work for you
- 6 Things to do right now that will change your website visibility forever
- Finally, A free downloadable SEO checklist
You may ask, what exactly is SEO? and why should I even care about it?
Well, SEO is Search Engine Optimization, it is simply increasing your visibility online which means, my website will appear at the top of the search in return get a ton of traffic to my website. This are a few main reasons why you need to put your mind into optimizing your website. Who doesn't want more traffic, more visibility and high ranking on google? I do.
Here are a few ways to make it work for you:
- Link to old blog posts: This will let google know that you have vast knowledge in a particular and establishes you as an expert and the best part, you let your readers be engaged on your website and give them more information on that particular topic.
- Every blog post should be more than 500 words: Did you know that if your blog post is less than 300 words, google thinks that you don’t have enough information.
- Optimize your images: This is one step I do not miss. I make sure I optimize all my blog post images and this way it is super helpful when someone searches in images. Download these stock photos and take your brands' image to the next level.
- Catchy titles: Did you know that an 74% of the internet population just reads the title and decides whether to read your post or not. I have an entire post dedicated to this topic just click here and get more traffic to your website with catchy post titles.
Things to do now to increase website visibility forever
1. Download the SEO for Yoast
This is a popular plugin almost every smart website owner will have. It is easy to configure and has a pleasing interface that makes it easy for you to work around. I’m going to walk you through on how I do SEO for all my blog posts and explain each section so that it is easy to understand.
Step 1: Download the SEO plugin and install it on your Wordpress website.
This is how it looks after you install the plugin. Below is the first look:
Snippet Editor: This is how your blog post will look when someone comes across it on a search engine. The example show how it would look on google search. The first text box is the title of the post, you can change the title by clicking on the pen and editing it. The second option is the URL, this should include the title of the blog post. The third option is themeta description is a short excerpt of your blog post which will appear under the blog title when someone searches. This should not be more than 160 characters.
Focus Keyword: This is the most important part of the SEO plugin, and you should only put one keyword or phase in this section. When you type in your keyword, you need to keep in mind that it should not be a word that is too broad and descriptive. Think of what people might type when they are on a look out for a blog post as yours. Ideally you will have to put in 3-4 keywords
Here are a few pointers:
- Make sure your title has the keyword/s
- The Blogpost URL should have the keyword/s
- The first 3 lines (which will become your meta description) of your blog post should have the keyword/s
2. Sign into Google Webmaster Tools
Webmaster tools is tool that Google uses to monitor your website's performance. Here is a explanation from google on the webmaster tools:
"Webmaster Tools is a free service offered by Google that helps you monitor and maintain your site's presence in Google Search results. You don't have to sign up for Webmaster Tools for your site to be included in Google's search results, but doing so can help you understand how Google views your site and optimize its performance in search results."
If you have an account with google, then you can just go to this link and verify your website.
Here's how you can do this:
3. Submit Your Content to Google
Google gives you the opportunity to submit your website content so you get more visibility on search engines. You can do that by clicking here
4. Update your meta tags and descriptions
When someone searches for your website on google, they should not see a blank description. Hence, you need to update your website's meta description and tags.
Go back to the SEO by Yoast plugin and put in your meta description. SEO (In the side menu)>Titles & Metas>Homepage
Now just add in your description and let the plugin do work magic.
5. Update your URLs
It is super important that you update your URLs for better optimization. This will aid search engines to put your site in the first few search results.
Go to Settings in the side menu for Wordpress and click on Permalinks.
6. Add alt text to all your blog post images
When you upload your image in your Wordpress, write a description to your image, especially if that image is share worthy and will be pinned. Here is how you do it:
Another Tip is when you save your images on your computer, make sure that you put in the keyword when you save your image. Since google cannot read images, it read the title that you give to the images so give it a google title so that your image appreas on google images.
In conclusion, SEO is an important part of your growing as a business owner/Blogger and to get more visibility to your online space. But, above SEO you need to have amazing, high quality content. This post is just a drop in a big ocean of search engine optimization. I have some more posts planned in relation to SEO and how you can maximize your reach to many more people, until then, let me know in the comments below what your thoughts on the whole SEO and content thing? How are you optimizing your website? and what are the other ways you are working around SEO?